Dr Justin Gaetano is the Director of Ideospectus Consulting.
This Credentials page gives a condensed record of his professional skills, qualifications, and employment. It is updated infrequently; this version is current up to 27th June, 2019.
The purpose of this page is to show prospective clients the demanding and complex work Ideospectus Consulting is capable of achieving. For referee reports or anything else, please visit the Services page, or contact Justin directly.
As an experienced researcher and long-time regional NSW resident, my goal is to secure diverse and challenging work, where I can apply my skill set to help build capacity and improve educational and community outcomes.
Skills and abilities
- Analysis. Known and trusted widely as data obsessive. Highly developed skills in quantitative, qualitative, and mixed-method analysis. Direct the ideospectus laboratory at the University of New England. Program and self-publish free data analysis tools. Run my own research consulting business. Revelian Cognitive Ability Test score exceeds 95% of graduates assessed for a variety of roles.
- Communication and leadership. Adherent of the servant model of leadership philosophy. Several years’ experience lecturing and writing content for diverse courses, including statistics, psychology, and community health. Supervise and mentor Honours and other research students to completion. Coordinator of the Coffs Harbour Collaborative Mental Health Professionals Network (MHPN). Consult on research projects remotely with collaborators from Germany and New York. MSCEIT Emotional Intelligence Test exceeds 80% of comparison group.
- Versatile approach toward regional change. Help local people with disability and their families to understand and access the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). Experience evaluating community service programs and service quality, and writing research reports on important topics (e.g. Indigenous health and wellbeing). Have helped secure competitive grants to assist vulnerable families and communities who live on the Mid North Coast (MNC) of New South Wales. Authored and published the MNC Regional Social Profile 2019, based on almost three years of research and analysis.
- Expertise, discipline and reputation. h-index = 5, which exceeds discipline and experience-level norms. Four of seven PhD chapters have been published, two of which appear in high-impact (IF > 3) general science journals. Recent works have been referenced in over 100 publications, and have been read over 47,000 times. Serve on the Editorial Board of Perception Science, a specialty of Frontiers in Neuroscience and Psychology. Serve as regular reviewer at PLOS ONE and Advances in Cognitive Psychology.
- PhD in Cognitive Neuroscience, SCU | 2011–15 | Thesis: The stimulus invariance of human sex cue processing: A cross-cultural study using non-face stimuli
- Bachelor of Psychology with 1st Class Honours, SCU | 2007–10 | Thesis: Humans are handy at sex perception
- 2019: Local area coordinator training, NDIS
- 2018: MHPN webinar: Self-Care for Mental Health Professionals
- 2017: Public Innovation Training, Harwood Institute USA | MHPN Professional Development
- 2016: Regional Wellbeing Masterclasses, SCU
- Certificate of Accreditation, Mental Health First Aid Course, MHFA Australia
- Certificate of Achievement, White Ribbon Courses on Domestic Violence Prevention
- Working with Children Check
- Australian Federal Police Check
- Local Area Coordinator | NDIS | 2019–. Helping people with disability and their families to understand and access the NDIS. Working with participants to develop and use their plan. Connecting people to supports, services, community activities and other government services. Working in communities to improve accessibility and inclusivity for all people with disability.
- Study Support Officer | Indigenous Tutorial Assistance Scheme | 2019–. Providing tutorial support, mentorship, and content advice to Indigenous Australian students who have registered in the scheme. Content areas include psychology, sociology, political science, exercise science, nursing and health science, and philosophy.
- Director | Ideospectus Consulting | 2018–. Consulting in the following broad areas: (1) Research (e.g. project management, design, analysis); (2) Publication (e.g. content advice, proofing and editing, publisher brokerage); (3) Academia (e.g. tuition, examination, preparation, invigilation); (4) Presentation (e.g. communication coaching, poster / slide-show design, graphical models, anxiety management).
- Research Supervisor | University of New England | 2017–. Supervising PhD, Masters, Honours and Advanced Graduate Diploma students’ research projects. Marking theses, literature reviews, and other outputs. Working with coordinator, administration team and other markers to moderate marks. Manage time effectively to ensure students receive feedback within two weeks of submitting work.
- Research Analyst | Mid Coast Communities | 2016–19
- Research & Training Support Officer | Southern Cross Postgraduate Association, SCU | 2014–16
- Research Consultant | North Coast Primary Health Network (formerly: North Coast Medicare Local) | 2012–13
- Doctoral Researcher | School of Health & Human Sciences, SCU | 2011–15
- Academic | School of Health & Human Sciences, SCU | 2010–16
- Research Assistant | Laboratory of Cognitive Neuroscience & Behaviour, SCU | 2008–10
- Market Researcher | Jetty Research | 2008–10
Achievements, awards, and funding
- 2019, TBC: Multidisciplinary research partnership focused on regional youth suicide prevention, involving multiple and ongoing grant submissions
- 2019: NSW Department of Justice Community Safety Fund | ADF, Australia – LDAT Community Action Plan
- 2018: Carer’s Investment Project | SETS Client Services / Community Capacity Building | GYST Life Skills Project
- 2017: NCPHN Primary Health Care Excellence Awards nominee: Innovation category
- 2014-16: SCU Teacher’s Commendation (6 nominations) | SRC grant | ACNS Travel Award to present work at ICON XII
- 2011-14: Australian Postgraduate Award | Joined Golden Key Honours Society on merit
- 2010-11: University Medal | Inaugural Honours Student Manuscript Award | Opem Psychology Honours Scholarship
Please visit the Resources section for a list.
- Themes from the Youth Futures Forum – 7 Sep. 2017 – Coffs Harbour City Council, Coffs Harbour
- Brave New Worlds: Biennial Conference of the National Judicial College of Australia – 4 Mar. 2017 – Australian National University, Canberra
- Clifford Group Perception Seminar – 14 Jan. 2016 – University of New South Wales, Sydney
- 12th International Conference on Cognitive Neuroscience (ICON) – 29 Jul. 2014 – Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre, Brisbane
- 4th Australasian Cognitive Neuroscience Society (ACNS) conference – 29 Nov. 2013 – Monash University, Melbourne
- 3rd ACNS conference – 30 Nov. 2012 – Queensland Brain Institute, University of Queensland, Brisbane
Activities and membership
- Regional Youth Suicide Prevention
- MNC Carer’s Research Project
- NSW Dept. of Family & Community Services
- Mid North Coast Local Health District
- Australian Early Development Census
- Alisa Bryce, Scientist
- Private tuition of various students
- Ideospectus Consulting, ABN: 88 320 406 725
- Registered with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission
- Intellectual property licensor with trademarks pending
- Coordinator, Coffs Harbour Collaborative MHPN (2019–)
- Editorial board member, Frontiers in Psychology / Neuroscience: Perception Science (2016–)
- Manuscript reviewer
- Textbook editor and content expert
- Member, Get Connected Toormina Project Implementation Group (2018–)
- Drug, Alcohol & Crime Prevention Actions Sub-committee
- Program & Service Evaluation Sub-committee
- Member, Bellingen/Nambucca Affordable Housing Action Group (2018–)
- Member, Australasian Cognitive Neuroscience Society (2012–)
- Member, Golden Key International Honour Society (2012–)
- Spokesperson, SCU Equity and Diversity Outreach Program (2008–14)
- Student mentor, SCU UniMentor Program (2008–11)